Monday 25 June 2012

Chinese name

Photo shared from http://www.cowrice.com/

Cowrice is a brand created by Eva's friend. I really appreciate what they are working and I kept re-reading their book about Grace's and her family's life in HK. I clicked into their blog recently and I was touched.

Ying Ying, daughter of Grace and Philip, reminded Ying Ying (I hope I did not translated it wrongly) to remember the meaning of her Chinese name. Don't be washed away from English name.

When I arrived London, many classmates asked me why my name is Jasmine, an English name. In fact, it is 'necessary' for Hong Kong people to have English because it is easily called and remembered by either Chinese and foreigner. It is a bit 'impolite' to call someone in their Chinese name directly after you have left secondary school.

But, I'd use my Chinese name more later...cos' it has its own meaning chosen by my parents. My Chinese name is 晞華 (Hei Wah) , 晞 (Hei) means sunshine in early morning, since I was born in the morning....actually I was born in typhoon signal number 10, and 華 (Wah) is a word from my 'family name book' :)

2 comments:

  1. Chinese name is Great! I dun have much feeling for English name. I didn't mean that Beter, Paul or Mary is no good but Chinese Name is Unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. But, the English name will be helpful if we are not in Asia.

    In Asia, people can understand or predict the meaning of the name by looking the words. They can pronounce it in a correct way.

    Some of my Chinese classmates use their Chinese name. I could not remember clearly because I don't know how to write it. It is in Mandarin, and it is a 'sound' to me. The foreigners don't know the logic of those alphabet..and it made a lot of joke.....and this made people unhappy....And, there is no differentiation of 'middle' and 'first' name in Chinese name. I made sure my flight ticket is rightly written as 'Hei Wah Fung', instead of 'Hei Fung'...or 'Wah Fung'....it will be the other person....

    My Chinese friend was not happy as her surname is 'He' (何), and people don't know it pronounce like 'ke' in Mandarin. She found it not respectful to have her surname wrongly written...

    I think this happen in other countries as well, eg. Thailand. The English name has pros and cons. It is more important is the other can remember it, or pronounce it in a right way.

    ReplyDelete